DOG – Switching to raw could not be more easy
Feeding your dog a raw diet can make a difference to allergies, appetite issues, sensitive digestion and food intolerances.
- Calculating your dog’s daily raw food ration – it is very important to know your dogs bodyweight and regularly weigh them when feeding raw. Below is a guidance chart of amounts of daily food rations, to help you calculate how much to feed your dog daily. It is very important to remember that ever dog is different, and you may need to adjusted these amounts, to suit your dogs metabolism, breed, age and lifestyle.
- Adult dogs should be fed approximately 2-3% of their body weight daily.
- Puppies depending on age should be fed 5-10% of their body weight daily. Due to growth spurts, you need to monitor their condition closely and change food intake to suit their individual needs. Generally, as a rule of thumb – puppies 5% of their bodyweight and up to 10% during a growth spurt. Daily requirements usually reduce around 8-10 months of age.
AMOUNT TO FEED PER DAY (DOGS)
(2% of weight)
(3% of weight)
(5% of weight)
(10% of weight)
HOW MANY MEALS
Adult dogs can be fed 2 meals a day but there are no fixed rules, some dogs will prefer just one meal a day. For a dog with a healthy weight, aim to feed them approximately 2-3% of their body weight each day. But remember this is a guide only as mentioned above and depends on your individual dog.
HOW TO START
- When introducing raw start days 1-5 by dividing daily rations into 50% raw and 50% previous food.
- Feed in alternating separate meals – avoid mixing raw and previous food if possible for easier digestion adjustment.
- Ideally meals should be 6 to 8 hours apart
- Days 5-7 – 75% raw, 25% previous food.
- From day 8, feed 100% raw food.
Most healthy dogs can cope really well without a transition period but we recommend the above method to allow the dogs body time to:
- To adjust its digestive enzyme release, for the stomach PH to alter, and the friendly bacteria (intestinal microbiome) to adapt and promote healthly digestion and metabolism.